We would warmly like to invite you to participate in the bi-annual conference on Children’s Mathematical Education, CME’16, which is to be held on July 18th - 21th 2016 in Wrocław, Poland.
1. Aim and focus
The meeting is planned as a working conference for all those who are interested in teaching mathematics to children between 3 and 16 years old. This means we would like to involve:
- Teacher trainers involved in:
Researchers interested in all aspects of teaching and learning mathematics (creating mathematical concepts and procedures, developing mathematical thinking, teacher – pupil interaction, teaching process, manuals and books. etc)
Mathematicians, who want to support teaching mathematics at school level.
Reflective practitioners (teachers)
2. Theme of the conference:
Inquiry based mathematical education
- in-service teacher training
- pre-service teacher training
The program will be focused on teaching and learning mathematics to children aged between 3 and 16 years old.
3. Plenary speakers:
4. Activities during conference
- Anna Sierpinska – Canada/Poland
- Jenni Back & Rose Griffiths - UK
- Guenter Toerner – Germany, president of Educational Commission EMS
- Ferdinando Arzarello – Italy, President of ICMI
5. Time and place
- Plenary lectures – 4 one-hour long lectures. The program includes plenary sessions during which invited speakers will focus on aspects of the conference theme. The plenaries provide a shared input to the conference and form a basis for discussions during seminars.
- Working seminars - the most important part of the conference. We plan to organize a work focused on 4 educational levels: children 3 - 6 years old, kindergarten; 7 - 9 years old, primary education; 10 – 12 years old, primary school; 13 – 16 years old, secondary school. Each participant is invited to be a member of one of the working groups that will meet several times during the conference. Discussions and exchange of experiences and ideas are the essential aspects of this activity. Each group will be coordinated by leaders. We are also open on the possibility to discuss problems related to teaching on the higher level.
- Research Reports - Parallel sessions of 20 minutes oral presentations, followed by a 5-minute discussion. Presentations should be related to the theme of the conference.
- Workshops - Participants are encouraged to take part in workshops. These will involve a more extended type of contribution which should focus on concrete activities and encourage an active participation through working on materials, problems or questions. The workshop will last for about 1 hour 30 min.
- Poster exhibition - Participants are encouraged to display their works in the exhibition hall.
The Conference is to be held on July 18th
2016, at University of Wrocław
The official conference language is English.
7. Conference fee:
220 Euro (reduced fee for students and PhD students - 150 Euro), which includes all documents for the conference, Proceedings, coffee breaks and all social activities for participants: excursion, social meetings and Conference dinner. The payment of the registration fee is a necessary pre-condition for the evaluation of submitted papers.
A limited amount of funding is available to participants who experience financial difficulties to attend the CME conference.
For any questions please contact Ewa Swoboda: