We would warmly like to invite you to participate in the bi-annual conference on
Children’s Mathematical Education
which is to be held from the 7th of July until the 10th of July 2014, in Poznań, Poland.
1. Aim and focus
The meeting is planned as an working conference for all those who are interested in teaching mathematics to children between 3 and 16 years old. This means we would like to involve:
- Teacher trainers involved in:
Researchers interested in all aspects of teaching and learning mathematics (creating mathematical concepts and procedures, developing mathematical thinking, teacher - pupil interaction, teaching process, manuals and books... etc)
Mathematicians, who want to support teaching mathematics at school level.
Reflective practitioners (teachers).
2. Theme of the conference
Communication in the Mathematics Classroom.
- in-service teacher training
- pre-service teacher training
The program will be focused on teaching and learning mathematics to children aged between 3 and 16 years old.
3. Activities during conference
4. Time and place
- Plenary lectures - 4 one-hour long lectures. The program includes plenary sessions during which invited speakers will focus on aspects of the conference theme. The plenaries provide a shared input to the conference and form a basis for discussions during seminars.
- Working seminars - the most important part of the conference. We plan to organize a work focused on 4 educational levels: children 3-6 years old, kindergarten; 7-9 years old, primary education; 10 - 12 years old, primary school; 13 - 16 years old, secondary school. Each participant is invited to be a member of one of the working groups that will meet several times during the conference. Discussions and exchange of experience and ideas are the essential aspects of this activity. Each group will be coordinated by leaders. As the results of the collaboration we expect to be able create a draft version of materials that would be useful in working with children which will include examples of activities together with comments and remarks. These materials will be elaborated by the group leaders and members of program committee and they will be published as a book. We are also open on the possibilities to discusss problems related to teaching on the higher level.
- Research Reports - Parallel session of 20 minutes oral presentations, followed by 5-minute discussion. Presentations should be related to the theme of the conference.
- Workshops - Participants are encouraged to take part in workshops. These will involve a more extended type of contribution which should focus on concrete activities and encourage an active participation through working on materials, problems or questions. The workshop will last for about 1hour 30 min.
- Poster exhibition - Participants are encouraged to display their works in the exhibition hall.
Conference is to be held from the 7th
of July until the 10th
of July 2014, in Poznań, Poland.
The official conference language is English.
6. The International Programme Committee
7. Local Organizing Committee
- András Ambrus - Faculty of Science, Eotvos Lorand University (ELTE), Budapest, Hungary
- Peter Appelbaum - Education Faculty, Arcadia University, United States
- Jenni Back - Primary Co-ordinator NRICH Project, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Ján Gunčaga - Department of Mathematics, Pedagogical Faculty, Catholic University in Ruzomberk, Slovak
- Carlo Marchini - University Degli Studi di Parma, Department of Mathematics, Italy
- João Pedro Da Ponte - Departamento de Educaão, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
- Jana Slezáková - Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Didactics of Mathematics, Prague, Czech Republic
- Lambrecht Spijkerboer - APS (National Center for School Improvement) Netherlands
- Ewa Swoboda - Rzeszów University, Institute of Mathematics and Natural Science, Rzeszów, Poland
- Konstantinos Tatsis - University of Western Macedonia, Greece
- Michal Tabach - Tel Aviv University, Israel
The conference will be organized with a scientific and administrative support supplied by Rzeszów University and Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań.
Members of the local organizing committee:
- Edyta Juskowiak - Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
- Magdalena Adamczak - Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań
- Marta Pytlak - Rzeszów University
- Grażyna Rygal - Jan Długosz University in Częstochowa
© 2013 www.cme.rzeszow.pl